Home World Darfur: bearing the brunt of over two years of civil war in...

Darfur: bearing the brunt of over two years of civil war in Sudan

People who fled the Zamzam camp for the internally displaced after it fell under RSF control, walk in a makeshift encampment in an open field near the town of Tawila in war-torn Sudan's western Darfur region on April 13, 2025.

People who fled violence in Darfur walk through a makeshift encampment in the western Darfur region on April 13, 2025. AFP/Getty Images hide caption

toggle caption

AFP/Getty Images

JOHANNESBURG — The food that a United Nations convoy was taking to the besieged Sudanese city of El Fasher would have been the first humanitarian aid desperate families there had received in over a year.

But they never got it.

The 15-truck convoy was on its way to the city in the Darfur region on Monday when it came under attack. Five UN staff were killed, several others injured, and the supplies damaged.

The UN condemned “in the strongest possible terms this horrendous act of violence against humanitarian personnel who literally put their lives at risk in an attempt to reach vulnerable children and families in the famine-impacted areas of Sudan.”

Sponsor Message

“It is devastating that the supplies have not reached the civilians in need,” it said in a statement.

It’s the latest blow for civilians in Darfur, who are currently bearing the brunt of the brutal two-year civil war between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

El Fasher, the capital city of North Darfur, is one of the last areas controlled by the Sudanese army in the remote western region of Sudan, and has been under attack by the RSF since last year. The UN didn’t say who was responsible for the attack on the aid convoy, but both warring factions accused the other of using drones in the ambush.

The Sudan conflict has killed tens of thousands, displaced nearly 13 million and created what the UN has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with the World Food Program saying almost 25 million people face “acute hunger.”

The U.S., UN experts, and the Sudanese army all argue the RSF and allied ethnic-Arab militias have been committing a genocide against Black African ethnic groups in Darfur.

While rights groups have accused both sides of war crimes, including extrajudicial killings and the blocking of humanitarian aid, they have blamed the vast majority of atrocities on the RSF.

Sponsor Message

In April the RSF attacked the massive ZamZam displacement camp in North Darfur, which was home to about half a million people, killing hundreds.

On Wednesday, Doctors Without Borders, released a new report focused on South Darfur, where it said “pervasive violence, a healthcare system in ruins and an inadequate international response have all combined to push people’s coping strategies to their limits.”

“People are subject to appalling violence on roads and farmland, and in markets and their own homes,” the medical charity said. “Air strikes and drone strikes continue to hit South Darfur and other parts of the country.”

This week Human Rights Watch accused the Sudanese armed forces of airstrikes “indiscriminately” bombing civilian populations in South Darfur.

Doctors Without Borders also says sexual violence is widespread in South Darfur, with the organization providing care to 659 women and girls between January 2024 to March 2025. Of those 7 percent were younger than 10 years old, with some as young as five.

Many women and girls are gang-raped. One man in West Darfur told the NGO: “Three months ago there was a little girl of 13 years old who was raped by three men…They caught her and raped her, then they abandoned her in the valley.”

Another 17-year-old girl, accounted her own rape to the charity.

“They beat us, and they raped us right there on the road, in public. There were nine RSF men. Seven of them raped me.” the teen said. “I wanted to lose my memory after that.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Queen’s Classic ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ finds a new voice in Zulu

Ndlovu Youth Choir - Bohemian Rhapsody Ndlovu Youth Choir/Ndlovu Youth Choir hide caption toggle caption Ndlovu Youth Choir/Ndlovu Youth Choir JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — The Ndlovu Youth Choir, which began in South Africa's rural Limpopo province and rose to international fame on America's Got Talent in 2019, has released a bold new project: a Zulu-language

3 dead after mob sets fire to Indonesian regional parliament building

Protesters walk by as the local parliament building is engulfed in flames during a protest following the death of a delivery rider in clashes between riot police and students protesting against lawmakers' allowances in Makassar, South Sulawesi, Indonesia, Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. Masyudi Firmansyah/AP hide caption toggle caption Masyudi Firmansyah/AP JAKARTA, Indonesia — An angry

Most of President Trump’s tariffs are illegal, U.S. court rules

President Trump announces his global tariffs at a Rose Garden event at the White House on April 2. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images hide caption toggle caption Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images An appeals court ruled that most of President Trump's tariffs are illegal — but held off on enforcing the decision until mid-October, given expectations that it will

The Effects of Melting Glaciers in Europe

Scientists use pink dye to measure the water flow rate coming off the Rhone glacier outside Zurich, Switzerland. Rob Schmitrz/NPR hide caption toggle caption Rob Schmitrz/NPR Europe is the world’s fastest warming continent with temperatures there increasing at twice the average global rate. That is melting Europe's glaciers, which may disappear by the end of

In a first, Kim Jong Un will attend a gathering of leaders with both Putin and Xi

In this photo provided by the North Korean government, Kim Jong Un speaks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the phone at an undisclosed location in North Korea, Aug. 12. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image and its content cannot be independently verified. Korean Central News Agency/Korea