Home World Israeli settlers beat U.S. citizen to death in West Bank

Israeli settlers beat U.S. citizen to death in West Bank

Concrete blocks placed by Israeli soldiers after October 7, 2023, according to local residents, are seen at one of the entrances of the village, impeding access for Palestinians in the West Bank village of Sinjil, Wednesday, July 9, 2025.

Concrete blocks placed by Israeli soldiers after October 7, 2023, according to local residents, are seen at one of the entrances to the West Bank village of Sinjil, impeding access for Palestinians, on July 9, 2025. Leo Correa/AP hide caption

toggle caption

Leo Correa/AP

Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank beat a U.S. citizen to death, according to local officials, during a Friday confrontation between a group of Israelis and Palestinians.

A municipal official and a relative of 21-year-old Sayfollah Musallet confirmed his death to NPR. Musallet was born in Florida and was in the village of Sinjil this week visiting family.

The Israeli military said that a confrontation had broken out between Palestinians and Israelis, and officials were investigating reports of a Palestinian civilian killed.

A U.S. embassy spokesperson confirmed Musallet’s death.

Israeli officials rarely prosecute those accused of violence against Palestinians, and when they do, a very small percentage end in conviction.

Sponsor Message

The U.S. Department of Justice has faced criticisms from its own attorneys for the “glaring gap” between how the agency investigates crimes committed by Russia and Hamas, as opposed to accusations of crimes committed by Israel and its citizens.

Since the deadly Oct. 7, 2023 attack by Hamas against Israel that killed some 1,200 people and resulted in the kidnapping of several hundred more, tensions between Palestinians and Israelis have been on the rise, even among the civilian population.

Israel’s response to the attacks has resulted in the deaths of more than 55,000 Palestinians – over half of whom were women and children – and left more than 127,000 wounded.

And Israel’s unrelenting siege in the region has resulted in a humanitarian crisis that has pushed health and welfare infrastructures in Gaza to the verge of collapse.

Despite widespread condemnation by some world leaders of Israel’s heavy-handed retaliation against Hamas, the United States continues to provide funding for the 21-month-long conflict.

Last month, the Trump administration said it would dedicate $30 million to an Israeli-backed program to control Gaza’s limited food supplies that the United Nations has described as a “death trap.”

Ongoing attempts to negotiate a ceasefire have so far proven unsuccessful.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

In a first, Kim Jong Un will attend a gathering of leaders with both Putin and Xi

In this photo provided by the North Korean government, Kim Jong Un speaks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the phone at an undisclosed location in North Korea, Aug. 12. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image and its content cannot be independently verified. Korean Central News Agency/Korea

Father of Minneapolis shooting victim speaks out. And, CDC announces new leadership

Good morning. You're reading the Up First newsletter. Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox, and listen to the Up First podcast for all the news you need to start your day. Today's top stories The names of the two children who were shot and killed on Wednesday at Annunciation Church and School in Minneapolis have been

Thai court dismisses prime minister over compromising phone call with Cambodian leader

Thailand's suspended Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, center, arrives at Government House in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. Sakchai Lalit/AP hide caption toggle caption Sakchai Lalit/AP BANGKOK — Thailand's Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country's leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in

Contract breach or banditry? Inside the collapse of the Taliban’s oil deal with China

The Taliban's acting minister of mines and petroleum, Shahabuddin Delawar (left); acting first deputy prime minister, Abdul Ghani Baradar (center); and China's envoy to Afghanistan, Wang Yu, attend a press conference in Kabul on Jan. 5, 2023, to announce an oil extraction contract with a Chinese company. Ahmad Sahel Arman/AFP via Getty Images hide caption

How did a Major Chinese Investment in Afghanistan Collapse?

Acting minister of mines and petroleum Shahabuddin Dilawar (L), Afghanistan's acting first deputy prime minister Abdul Ghani Baradar (C) and China's ambassador to Afghanistan Wang Yu attend a press conference to announce an oil extraction contract with a Chinese company in Kabul on January 5, 2023. Ahmad Sahel Arman/AFP via Getty Images hide caption toggle